Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Essence of What I do

There was something weighing on my mind last night and the last few months. Something large that seems to be pushing at my soul. It's about my life, my passions, and about my business. I have struggled like many other small business owners in this economy. I have struggled with other crocheters undercutting my prices or offering the same items. For months, the struggles I faced trying to build up a reputation as a good designer and as a good seller seemed to bring me down further instead of uplift me. The fear of not succeeding weighed me perhaps the most.

What if I spent all this money and no one buys?

What if I upgrade this and redo that with no interest?

What if my customers have no interest in my patterns or items?

As months went by, those stones in my basket became heavier and heavier to bare. I continued to doubt myself. I changed this thing and that thing to increase business. I offered deal after deal with not one bite.

Through all that, I continued to see a quote about how long it really took to build a business and a brand. How many hours, heartaches, struggles, changes, and frustrations it took to build a worth while business....

Last night, it dawned on me.

I do not crochet, craft, or write because of other people. I do not sell items. I do not sell my time, my materials, or even a bunch of yarn knots made with a metal hook. I make and sell memories. I make and sell a connection between two people that will last a lifetime. I make and sell heirloom ornaments and dolls...that will withstand more than a few weeks of play at Christmas time. I make and sell that smile exchanged between two people....and the hug...and the heartfelt gratitude.

Most handmade sellers do the same. When you factor in the fees, the listing amounts, the time, energy, material costs...even the gas to get the materials, some of us barely break even trying to keep up with trends and the "best" price.

Well, no more! I want to maintain the very essence of why I do what I do - the memories, the hugs, the laughter, the smiles, the connection, and the heirloom that touches more than one generation.

So thank you, for sharing that with me. It means more than you know!




With lots of love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment