Monday, April 21, 2014

Make it Monday - Sled Ornament

I announced this pattern on Saturday as part of my "Share it Saturday" routine! But first things first, here is the material list again:


  • glue gun
  • glue sticks
  • popsicle sticks (9 - 8 for sled and 1 just in case)
  • sturdy scissors
  • paint color of choice
  • scrap paper or newspaper
  • paint brush
  • yarn/twine/ribbon



 While this is a REALLY early Christmas ornament, I am preparing my booth with products for Autumn shows. The goal I have is to have many choices to purchase and have fun while I make them. I saw pictures of a similar sled on Pinterest and developed my own.

*Note: While this is a somewhat kid friendly project, I would remind everyone to use safety goggles and allow an adult to deal with the hot glue.

*Note: Although this project is pretty quick, you must leave time to dry.

1. Plug in glue gun to heat up. Be sure to place it on a piece of scrap paper to catch any dripping glue.

2. Cut one stick into two equal parts with a small overage. Two of these parts will fit across the bulk of the sled.



3. Place 5 popsicle sticks next to each other with the middle stick the highest, the next layer down just slightly, and the last two down further.



4. Using hot glue, place a small line of glue near the upper part of the sled and place 1 of the support beams from step 2 on top. I squished mine down to create a better hold. Repeat further down the sled.



5. Place a small bead of glue on each support beams at the very end and place the runner, holding in place until the glue hardens. Repeat for opposite side.



6. Allow time to dry.

7. Using paint brush, paint the sled on one side. Let dry. Repeat on opposite side. Let dry.





8. After cutting the ribbon/twine/yarn to the desired length for the hanger, place a small bead of hot glue next to the top support brace on the underside of the sled. Quickly place one end of your hanger into the glue. Repeat on opposite side.



You can obviously embellish this sled how you want. I have ideas to put names and the year on the sled so that whoever receives the ornament will have a date for memories in the future. I would love to see any projects you do with this tutorial. You can send the photos to smchatton.writer@gmail.com or visit my Facebook page, Dande Creations, to share.

I found packages of popsicle sticks at my local Dollar General on sale 25% off. I bought 5 packs for $3.75. I did pick up a new pack of glue sticks a few weeks ago, but you hardly use half a stick for just one sled. I also had crochet thread to create the hanger; however, the price is very low with the amount you use. Paint was also relatively cheap. For me, it was free. I had purchased paint samples at Lowes when we painted our kitchen and it was the perfect time to use them. The beautiful, deep blue was a perfect winter-y/Christmas-y color.

Costs

8 Popsicle sticks - $0.08 on sale
Hot glue stick - $0.16
Thread - Free
Paint - $0.10
-------------
$0.34 per sled
Round up to $0.40 for thread (generous)

So for 40 cents, you have a sled.

My packs of sticks had 80 sticks so I can get 10 sleds from one pack! What a great, frugal way to make gifts for the holidays, crafts for the kids, or products to add to your holiday craft booth!

Happy Crafting,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment