Monday, April 14, 2014

Make it Monday: Washcloth Lollipops

Originally, I was going to build a riser for my booth that would hold soap or my dolls. With such a busy week, I did not have the time to get the required material - which is more foam board. But, I found something to make for Make it Monday.

One day last week I saw a cute gift idea on a diaper cake. Two of my sisters are pregnant right now which had me wondering about baby shower gifts. It was this cute lollipop with some type of cloth. When I focused on it, I found that it was a washcloth lollipop. Well, I had no clue how to accomplish this. I looked on youtube and found a good video that showed me how to accomplish this lollipop and a "hard" candy.

Since we are adding soap and other beauty products to our booth, we are also increasing the washcloths and other spa items as well. A surplus of washcloths means a new, cute type of product display.

My goal today is to create some washcloth lollipops to display in my booth in Fall. I spent the last two days crocheting (and paper crafting) a few washcloths to try with this.

What you will need:

Washcloths
Wooden dowels
Ribbon
Cello/Treat bags


2 washcloths
Green is my Star Stitched Washcloth pattern 6x6
Pastel is in Baby Print and just a single crochet at 8.5 x 8.5


Shaped Cello Bags
6 inch wooden dowels
*I bought 12 inch as well and probably would have preferred it to these*


Roll up the washcloth.
The tutorial showed corner to corner, but with a crocheted washcloth that was too much bulk to swirl. 


Swirling the washcloth


Finished swirling


Insert dowel


Put in cello bag



Repeat with other washcloth


Finished swirl


Finished with ribbon and in bags

I will readily admit that taking photos of this was difficult. So I gathered my hubby up and made him take photos...with a sweet smile on my face of course!

The project is not only really quick, but cheap. I am pretty sure the bag of cello bags was $3.50 at Walmart for 100. The ribbon was only $0.49. The wooden dowels were around $2.00 and that is rounding up. The yarn was only $1 dollar a skein, but I can get multiple out of each skein so roughly $0.50.


Total per washcloth lollipop

$0.04 cello bag
$0.01 ribbon (probably less than that)
$0.10 wooden dowel (Rounded up)
$0.50 washcloth handmade
______

$0.65 PER washcloth

Not only is this a cute gift to give for a baby shower, but who wouldn't like to get a handmade washcloth lollipop in a spa basket! I will try to make the candy version next week to show. I might do it with my washcloth soap savers.

Watch for a better photo with a professional set up!

Do you have any neat product packaging?
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment