Thursday, December 18, 2014

12 Weeks of Christmas - Week 12

This final week was one I struggled over. I wanted to offer a free pattern as a gift to my blog readers and followers. It seemed like a great idea, yet I had no clue what I was going to do. When I saw a rash of ball ornaments transformed into animated characters, I wanted to jump head first in crocheting similar things. BUT, it goes against trademark and copyright to use a character's image in that way. So, I settled with just crocheting some simple Christmas balls for your tree. It isn't a hard project or a fancy one; however, appliques can be added to make it fancier.

For now, this pattern will only be available on my blog. At a future time I will be adding it to my Ravelry shop and perhaps Craftsy. It is available in two sizes. In the future, there may be a third size added. It will remain free for the entire time my patterns are up.


Christmas Ball Ornament


Notes:
U.S. Terminology
This pattern will contain a stitch count at the end of the round.
This pattern does not have rows. It is completed continuously. 
The "*" symbol indicates a repeating trend.
If you are a beginning crocheter, use Youtube to learn any stitch you do not know. It is a great resource.

Materials:
Size G or H hook
Scissors
Stitch marker
Fiberfil
Yarn needle

Abbreviations:
sc = single crochet
st = stitch
sts = stitches
sc2tog = single crochet 2 togther
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch


Small Ball

ch 2
1. 6 sc in 2nd st (6)
2. *2 sc in each st (12)
3. *2 sc, sc in next st (18)
 4-6: sc in each st around (18)
Stuff ball.
7: sc2tog, sc in next st (12)
8. sctog around (6)
Fasten off leaving long tail. Using long tail and yarn needle, close the remaining 6 sts.

Hanger
Attach with a sl st center of ball. Ch 16. Fasten to a close space with a sl st. Weave in ends.
*Alternatively, you can use the ends to tie a bow.


Large Ball

ch 2
1. 6 sc in 2nd st (6)
2. *2 sc in each st (12)
3. *2 sc, sc in next st (18)
4. *2 sc, sc in next 2 sts (24)
5. *2 sc, sc in next 3 sts (30)
6. *2 sc, sc in next 4 sts (36)
7-12: sc around (36)
13: sc2tog, sc in next 4 sts (30)
14. sc2tog, sc in next 3 sts (24)
15. sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts (18)
Stuff ball.
16. sc2tog, sc in next st (12)
17. sc2tog (6)
Fasten off leaving long tail. Close remaining stitches with yarn needle and tail.

Hanger
Attach with a sl st center of ball. Ch 16. Fasten to a close space with a sl st. Weave in ends.
*Alternatively, you can use the ends to tie a bow.


I will reveal the pictures on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment