Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Barbies Everywhere

You may have noticed that a good portion of what I craft involves Barbie and her entourage. I grew up loving Barbie. She represented a different world - one that was always happy. As an imaginative child, it catered to that part of me. So as I grew up, Barbie became a continued part of my life through my nieces. When I started this blog and started designing crochet patterns for Barbie, I knew that I was going to continue that tradition.

Each year, I tend to make my nieces a Barbie something for Christmas. That is, until they get too old for them. My heart about broke this Christmas when I told my 10 year old niece that I didn't make her a Barbie dress, but if she wanted one I would. She turned to me and said "Naw, I am getting too old." According to my sister, she only plays every once in a while. That allure and illusion only lasts so long.

When I began designing for Barbie, I noticed that a lot of the patterns that were available involved super small crochet needles and size 10 crochet thread. If you have ever worked with that, you would know how incredibly frustrating and hard it is to use. I am in complete awe with people who are able to crochet vast and elaborate Barbie dresses out of that. It is most definitely worth 100+ dollars for one dress.

For me, I knew I would never be able to do that. And if I couldn't, there had to be others who wouldn't enjoy that process either. So, I began using normal worsted weight yarn to create Barbie patterns. My goal was to just make Barbie dresses, but it has expanded beyond that. I began a mission to get Barbies the represented the ones I grew up with.

Ken and Barbie
Skipper and Kevin
Todd and Stacie
Tommy and Kelly

What I found out was that around 2010, the Mattel company had changed the height and dimensions of most of these dolls. So while I was able to find each of those older size Barbies (except Stacie), I am now in the process of updating my set of dolls to include old and new. The changes have created a little issue with the size of my clothes that may or may not fit on the new dolls.

Not to fear, each of my patterns include a list of which type of doll it fits. The older patterns will be revised to include that and updated each time I find the right doll.

Barbie Patterns Coming in 2015

  • Bedroom Suite - including a mattress, pillow, blanket, and accent pillows (This may be for each of them. It is undecided at this time)
  • A Christmas set - including a tutorial on creating a Christmas tree using an old artificial tree which will be free on my blog
  • An Easter Dress set - For Barbie, Skipper, and Stacie
  • Outfit Ebooks
There is also some discussion on creating a physical book with a good portion of my crochet patterns for sale in the future. All exciting news!





No comments:

Post a Comment