Thursday, January 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday -

I realized early in my crochet pattern designing that I wanted to focus on something I rarely saw - Barbie patterns using larger yarn. The patterns that have been developed by thread crocheters are simply fantastic. If you have not seen any, I suggest you google it. My absolute favorite is Scarlett O'Hara's Green Curtain dress. (Okay, I admit. I am a HUGE Gone With the Wind fan. Sue me.)

I don't own this photo! I found it here.


I thought I would give thread crocheting a try. How hard could it be using the same stitches as normal crochet? Well...apparently MUCH harder than I anticipated. What really bothered me was the smallness of the hook and the slippage of the thread. It was hard to control. I continued to mess up. My hand and wrist was hurting. And I just couldn't take it. I knew after that first try that without some serious intervention I would never be a thread crocheter. So I stuck with what I knew.

A size G hook and Red Heart.

Who needed the end product to be super soft and not itchy? I was absolutely sure that plastic Barbie would have no issue with a scratchy dress. So, I began designing patterns. The first ones were a little horrible. Even my first purses...Well, they could use some updating.

I suggest keeping tuned for that!

Anyway, here is my first Throwback Thursday photo.



My first Barbie purse design

It isn't TOO bad, but it could use some work. You can find it on my blog by searching Barbie Purse with Flap or clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment