Monday, February 2, 2015

The Candy Corner - Make it Monday - Peanut Butter Cups - Photo Heavy

Besides being the week of chocolate, this Make it Monday falls on my hubby's birthday. Each year we dedicate a certain amount of money for a birthday gift with a cake and a special dinner. This year (like most) my hubby wants to buy a digital game pack. Yep...he is a gamer. Much more than I am for sure. What I am as a craft is him with games. So, that leaves me with no physical gift to really get him. I asked him what he wanted for dinner and a cake. His answer was "I don't care." He isn't very helpful, but on the positive side, he is not very fussy. What I did want to do is create something for him on his birthday!

So...the theme of chocolate has made me think in the last few weeks of what I could do with that theme and with my skill set that he would actually enjoy. Well, I have to say that this one left me stumped. Normally here on Dande Creations I choose to do paper crafts, crochet, or other such crafts. Not only does he not enjoy most of that, but I couldn't think of a single thing I could do that would fit the typical crafts found on this blog.

Next best thing? Well...making some REAL chocolates.

I recently discovered a blog post on Pinterest that had me interested - Peanut Butter cups.  My husband loves peanut butter cups. So when I stumbled across these, I knew I found my craft.

This is a special edition of Make it Monday. Cooking and baking or chocolate making is not a common craft here, but since this falls perfectly on my hubby's birthday and the theme of chocolate...I am doing it.

What you will need:
A pot
A cupcake tin
A glass bowl
2 tablespoon
Paper cupcake holders
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used two heaping tablespoons.)
1/8 cup of powdered sugar
1 tbsp of butter - softened
2 tsp Crisco (optional - it provides shine)

First, gather your ingredients and materials. As you can see, I did not use name brand. You can use Reese's peanut butter and milk chocolate if you wish. In my house we use creamy peanut butter and semi-sweet chocolate.


I gathered my pot, cupcake tin, a glass bowl, and the cupcake liners. These liners are 1 dollar (V-day edition) at the Dollar General. It's close enough to V-day to use them, but who cares right? You can alternatively do this in the microwave. Just heat the chocolate and Crisco at 20-30 second intervals until they are smooth.


Line the cupcake tins. It is much easier to do this while your chocolate is melting. I was bored in between the prep and the melting chocolate.


Fill your pot with about two inches of water. *IMPORTANT* Do not allow the water to touch the bottom of the pot. So before you put the chocolate in, put your bowl into the pot to check.


Pour 2/3 of the bag of chocolate chips into the bowl and turn on the stove eye at 6. Set aside the last 1/3 for tempering.



Once it started to melt, I added my Crisco. Simply because I forgot to put it in.


These are well loved pans and pots! Take a tablespoon of chocolate and put it into the cupcake liner. Smooth it from the center to the outside, making sure to hit all parts of the side. Repeat through all 12 liners. Resist the urge to lick the spoon! I know. It's hard, but you will run out of chocolate.


This is what you get. Now bang it on the table or counter to release air bubbles. Place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes until firm. I think we took ours out at 7 minutes.


While the bottoms are inside the fridge, take your peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter. Add them to a bowl. I used a measuring cup for no other reason than it was within reach. LOL!


It will look something like this. Delicious and peanut buttery!


Remove the bases from the fridge when they are set. They will look something like this. You can see the chocolate has a shine, which is from the Crisco.


Place a half tablespoon of peanut butter (roughly) in each liner. I wasn't neat. There is no need to be as these are for a man who just doesn't care what they look like. It's more important what they taste like!


Smooth the peanut butter out just like the chocolate until it reaches the edge. The point of this is to show each layer when the candies are done!


Repeat the process with the top layer of chocolate. I forgot to take a picture! I was so good at every stage of the process and forgot that >.< Oh well right? It is the same process as the first layer of chocolate and the peanut butter.

Here's the finished product - special with a thumb print on it.


The cups are going to have more of set in the fridge until they are FULLY hardened. You just remove the paper and eat!

I am sure my husband is going to love his gift. I can assure you that they taste delicious. He will be receiving 1 less cup, but it's taste control right? Well...either way that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Until Next Time,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment