Monday, November 10, 2014

12 Weeks of Christmas - Week 6 Reveal

There is something so wonderful about a pine cone. I remember taking walks with my mother and sisters when I was younger. We would walk down our country road enjoying the scenery and nature. Every once in a while I would watch my mother swoop down and pick something up. She would eagerly show us what she found. Sometimes it was a small pine cone. Sometimes it was an interesting rock. At that younger age, it was interesting to view them. Looking back as an adult, I see it as a connection to my family that shared a memory.

Perhaps that is why I am so drawn to this pattern. It reminds me off times gone by. As I am trying to fill up my tree with homemade ornaments, this fits the bill. One made from a memory.

The changes I made are:


  • I did a chain 18 first and sl st to the beginning chain. This creates the hanger without having to add it later.
  • I did not weave in ends. Instead, I used them to create a bow at the top so I could reduce my work. If you don't like the look, please go ahead and weave them in.
  • I also slip stitched the final stitch to the same chain to create a uniform top. 
  • I used a size I/9 hook instead of the suggested G hook. This created a bigger, fuller pine cone.
It is such a quick and easy pattern for experts and beginners alike. If you want a more natural looking tree, you could make these and add them. I also thought you could go back in and add some white yarn to create a "snow" capped pine cone.





Next week, we will be doing my newest pattern - The Beanie!

See you then,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment