Saturday, October 4, 2014

Clothespin Snowflakes - Photo Heavy

I recently saw a pin on Pinterest for a cute and inexpensive ornament that had my heart aflutter. Snowflakes, snow, and snowmen are my most favorite ornament and Christmas decoration out of everything. I can pass up Santa for a good snowflake! So when I saw this cute little pin, I knew I had to try it. I already had the glue sticks. I had the ribbon. All I needed was the clothes pins!

A few weeks ago, I found myself in the craft section of my local Walmart looking for clothespins. They had a set of 18 or so for almost 4 dollars. That makes this project less budget friendly. So I headed to the laundry section to see if they had a better pack for cheap. They did! A 50 pack for about $0.97. That is more than budget friendly as I could pick up 3 packs of 50 for the price of 1 in the craft section.

Materials:
50 pack of Wooden Clothespins from Walmart ($0.97)
Glue sticks (In stock)
Glue Gun (In stock)
Ribbon (In stock, but cost $1.00 per spool)

Optional: paint, glitter, craft glue, paint brushes


Now, for the instructions. I will be posting a set of pictures with the instructions below it. Please view all the instructions before beginning the project.


Here's the materials. I chose to not use paint and glitter, although I am looking into adding that later.


Twist the clothes pin until the twisted one pops out the spring.


Lay the one side off and pull off the spring.


It should be relatively easy. I have no use for the spring, so I just toss them.


Now you are let with both sides. Lay the sides with the straight sides up. Make sure the cut outs are facing the same way.


Place a line of glue along the pin.


Now that it is on, place the two sides together. Match up the cut out.


Here you can see what the glued pin looks like.


Tie the ribbon. I am going to show pictures of how I do it, but feel free to do it how you feel comfortable.








I actually added my ribbon into the pin as I glued it for the most stability. It is about an inch from the top of the pin.


Next, add some glue to the bottom of one pin and attach another completely opposite.


In the center, add another bead of glue and attach another pin.


Repeat for the other side.


Now, in each area between two pins, add glue and another pin. I did have some issues getting the pins to completely adhere due to the angle, but I just added some glue up the sides so the angles attach.


Here's the completed snowflake.



From one half of the package, I got three snowflakes. These are unpainted, but still beautiful.

One thing I would caution you about is that the glue does snow, but can be covered with paint and glitter to mask. I do not have a problem with the view of paint, but some may. The original pin shows these snowflakes stained as more of a vintage look. What I say is to do what you like with them!

In about 30 minutes, I had all three completed including taking photos for this post! That is a quick and inexpensive ornament. The cost breakdown is below.

Costs

8 clothes pins  -   $0.16
1/2-1 hot glue stick   -   $0.10
Hot glue gun  - free
Ribbon     -$0.16
_____________________
Total Cost - $0.42


Each pack of wooden clothespins (50) can make 6 snowflakes.

Happy Crafting
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment