Monday, October 20, 2014

12 Weeks of Christmas - Week 3 Reveal

This is such a cute ornament. I would like to share my experience with this pattern. First, the designer of this pattern (Frayed Knots) is obviously an accomplished pattern designer. The pattern is easy to read and spaced in a nice manner making it easier to understand. There is an abbreviation list and a materials list for those who need it.

The only thing that I would desire in this pattern is a way to create a holder or hanger for the tree. Some perhaps would use the handle as a hanger, but I do not find that too desirable. If you do, YAY! I do have a way to add a hanger if you would like to continue to read.

I did choose to use a size H hook instead of the recommended G hook simply because it was near me. This gave me a bigger ornament. If you want a smaller ornament, I do suggest using a G hook or even a F hook if you crochet loosely.

I chose to use burgundy as my main color as it is a deeper red simply because the color reminds me of Christmas. The "coffee" or "hot chocolate" color I chose is Cafe Latte by Red Heart. It works with either one as the coffee that I am around (but don't drink) is usually caramel in color. The only changes I did to the pattern for my own desires is adding a hanger and creating just a chain for the handle. It still looks good!

Here's the photos!


Looking down into the cup.


From more of the side.


This years and last year's cups!


Size comparison between a H hook and a G hook.
The smaller one is a G hook.


As you can see on the first two photos, I added a hanger. What I did was attach the red yarn at the final sl st and the beginning of the cup handle. I chained up 16 and reattached it to the same spot. This will give a tipped over look on the tree as if the coffee/hot chocolate is spilling out. As you can see, I did not make the marshmallows as these are "coffee" ornaments. I also chose not to overfill the red one, but you can see the effect of overfilling on the green one.


Would you like to know where these new ornaments are heading too?
Stay tuned for an update post!
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment