Thursday, October 2, 2014

Why 12 Weeks of Christmas

The 12 Weeks of Christmas was a project I thought about last year when I was really working on my crochet pattern business as a way to advertise the holiday season and my wonderful ornament patterns. As I am moving away from pattern design on a full time scale, I decided to still continue to maintain events on my blog as a offshoot of my own writing career.

Why I chose to continue is simple. I wanted to crochet ornaments. It gets me in the holiday spirit. Whether these ornaments become an addition to my personal Christmas ornament stash (it's getting big) or whether they are added into a gift basket, they are chosen to build me into that spirit of giving and happiness. One thing that I have also chosen to do this year is provide 1-2 ornament baskets for my husband's work party.

The owners of his work have the help and support of all the workers each Christmas to provide money and gifts to local Angel Trees. Each person is encouraged, but not required, to purchase door tickets at the party at $1.00 a piece. The owners provide door prizes from something small like a new lotion to hams, turkeys, and even skiing passes to Ober Gatlinburg. Last year, I provided a set of ornaments that they gave away individually.

This year, I am adding ornaments to a basket to create 1-2 bigger sets of ornaments. I do not claim to be rich, but I do like helping charity when I can and in what capacity I am able. If crocheting ornaments gets me in the Christmas spirit and it can benefit a less than fortunate family this Christmas, I am all for it.

What I ask of you is something simple. If you can afford to give to charity this season, please do. Our economy makes it so hard for families to provide even a Christmas dinner for their families let alone a gift for their children. Take the steps and get into the Christmas spirit by donating and giving to charity. If you do not know where to begin, contact your local fire department. They usually accept donations for Toys for Tots!

In the future weeks, I will be providing a look at the baskets for charity through my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment