Thursday, October 23, 2014

12 Weeks of Christmas - Failure Ornament

Week 5
Fancy Ornament

Please note: This is another Lion Brand pattern and requires a Lion Brand account. If you participated in Week 4, you will already have an account setup. If you have not, it takes only a few minutes of your time.

***Note*** There is some corrections for this pattern at the top of the pattern to the left of the photo. Please make sure you follow these to create your ornament right.

This is a pattern I have never worked up simply because of the complexity of it's look. In actuality, it does not seem too complicated. What it does require is counting, a stitch marker, and patience. This is one of the most complicated and time consuming ornaments that I have on the list. It is one I have wanted to try and recreate for my own tree.

As I worked this pattern up, I noticed a very bad issues with the pattern. It was poorly written, which does not make much sense for a Lion's Brand pattern.

Suggestions:

  • Use a smaller hook. I have used an H hook to complete mine and the holes are a bit bigger than I would like with the sc2tog. For a personal ornament, it may not matter. But if you want to give this as a gift, I would suggest a G or an F hook.
  • Stuff as you go! You cannot go back and restuff. 
  • Stop at round 24. The pattern does not match the photograph and was causing me grief and frustration. So I chose to stop after I finished round 24 and sewed the top together. Then I created a ch 16 holder and tied the ends into a bow so I didn't have to weave them in!

I normally would not even add a pattern that is so poorly written to my blog events; however, I do like the finished product. It is nothing like the photograph, but that has to do with the pattern. I look forward to showing you what I have accomplished. So I am going to be providing this as an additional pattern if you want to try it.

Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment