Sunday, May 17, 2015

Revealing the Theme - National Children's Book Week

From the age of nine, I had a desire to write. It was so important to me that my father suggested I start using the GED book to learn high school and college level words. I spent time studying and writing the words in the dictionary. I would have 10 new words each week. By half way through the year, I wrote a 16 page short story - romance of course. Nervously, I read it to my little sister who sat rapt at each word. I was sitting on the dresser and she was sitting on the bed. I remember feeling enthralled at her response and hoping that she would love the story I had to tell. Yes, had. Within moments of finishing, I waited for the response. When she told me that it was good and she loved it, I breathed a sigh of relief and celebrated internally with jubilation.

That feeling is something all children should have growing up. They should have a safe situation to express their voice even if the words coming out of them is not something we agree with. Sometimes...all someone needs is to be heard.

So, with that in mind...this week's theme is going to focus on the act of writing. One aspect of most lives is literature. I remember creating my own book in fifth grade. It was entitled - Mighty Morphin Spider Rangers. LOL! Yes, after the Power Rangers. It was really huge then. What it did was allow me to use my creativity and mind to create a story I liked.

This week....we are focusing on National Children's Book Week.

But in a different light than one would think we would celebrate. So please join me this week on this blog to focus on Children's book and writing.

Before I finish this post, I will provide a list of the materials needed for tomorrow's Make it Monday.

Materials
Paper cutter
Designer paper or colored paper
4-6 sheets of white copier paper
needle
thread
scissors

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment